Saturday, November 21, 2020

Previously Published in Down in the Dirt . . .

 

I Hate

          waking up an hour before my alarm; forgetting
to put coffee in the filter, turning the pot on anyway; watching
the perky morning news(?) caster with her maniacal
smile and hair that never moves; waiting
for the traffic report that will inevitably re-route me
miles out of my way.

          crunching cruet de tat at my desk
as I work through lunch in hopeful attempt to climb
out from under the pile of folders, notes, to-do lists
threatening to bury me alive; the incessant chings,
dings, rings of electronic communications waiting
for response.

          squeezing in a run on a belted human hamster wheel
to counteract my increasing waistline tht has absolutely no
regard for my constant attempts to count calories; my limited
closet and budget that makes the former a necessity.

          finally climbing into comforting embrace of pillow
and bed to find no hope of sleep on the horizon; that my mind
won't shut out yesterday's drama, today's catastrophes, 
or the possibilities of tomorrow's crises; that right
at the precipice of complete exhaustion, the muse deigns to visit
and remind me of the price of daring to have even one
selfish dream of my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously Published in Epigraph . . .

To Spin Or Not To Spin Static transporter taunts me infinitely across a room of mirrors, reminders of necessity.  Cold motivators of perpetu...