Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Previously Published on Ann Arbor Review . . .




800

gumballs lived in a glass container
on the front counter of the little corner
store in the small Western Pennsylvanian
town I grew up in for years.  Don’t ask
me how I know there were 800, I just do.
I am as sure of that number as I am
of my name.

These gumballs were not for sale, not part
of some promotional contest.  They were
just sitting there for show, a useless colorful
display that plagued my childhood.  My still-
developing mind could not make sense of all
that waste, all those wonderful, unchewed
gumballs collecting dust.

I stared at them for years, from all angles
as I grew.  I waited for their great mystery
to be revealed.  But the store was sold, torn down,
replaced with a slick new 7-11.  Everyone rejoiced
at the improved convenience, the always (over) stocked
shelves. 

I resented the fancy neon sign and its clutter-less
counters.  They mocked me, along with the ghost
of that gumball-filled jar, its absence laughing
from my memory.




(http://annarborreview.net/)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously Published in Epigraph . . .

To Spin Or Not To Spin Static transporter taunts me infinitely across a room of mirrors, reminders of necessity.  Cold motivators of perpetu...